Make a splash at the Y.
YMCA Swim Lessons have changed to help students gain more confidence in the water.
NEW, IMPROVED SWIM LESSONS
- Small instructor-to-student ratios
- Classes feature more time in the water and time for instruction
- Parent/Child classes feature a skill-based model for introductory to advanced levels
- Achievement Log tracks a student’s progress as swimming skills are mastered
- Click here to see some frequently asked questions.
The Y offers a wide range of swimming options. Structured classes are divided by age and skill level and taught by certified instructors who guide with praise and encouragement. Students will improve swimming skills, build confidence in the water and learn personal safety.
GROUP SWIM LESSONS
For preschool and youth swimming, instructors assess skills on the first day and group students based on their abilities.
PRESCHOOL SWIMMING (AGES 3–5)
- Children will begin learning how to swim with their face underwater, how to jump in the pool and how to retrieve toys from the bottom of the pool
- Class emphasizes skills of position, arm movements, kicking, floating and breathing
YOUTH SWIMMING (AGES 6–12)
Kids will learn six strokes: freestyle, elementary backstroke, backstroke, breaststroke, sidestroke and butterfly
PARENT/CHILD SWIM INTRODUCTORY CLASS (PARENTS AND CHILDREN AGES 6-36 MONTHS)
Introduces water safety, comfort in the water, water entry and exit techniques, breath control, swimming on the front and back, and basic swimming skills
PARENT/CHILD ADVANCED CLASS
For children who have successfully mastered the introductory class and have instructor approval. As a prerequisite, children are required to be able to hold their breath underwater and move through the water independently.
- Parent/child team will work on advanced skills including endurance and underwater swimming
- Class focuses on the skills of jumping in, surfacing, back floating, swimming to the side and exiting the pool
ADULT SWIM LESSONS
- Lessons are geared toward the adult student’s level of comfort and ability
- Available for first-time swimmers and those who want to tune up their skills
To sign up for a child or adult swim lessons course, click here.